Monday, June 16, 2014

Staying in Laredo for Six More Weeks!

In today's letter, we learned that Elder Christiansen will be staying in Laredo for at least another six weeks (the length of a transfer cycle). He's excited about continuing to work in Laredo and with Elder Brian. Lots of sports chatter in today's letter, we had to update Ethan on the latest news. And, a story about the generous cooks / moms who feed the missionaries. Oh my!


June 16, 2014

Buenas,

Yes I got your letter and that's good you got the package. Haha -- yea that's a funny shirt, Lindsay sent it to me in the MTC, I think. (Note: t-shirt says “Don’t mess with Texas girls!” sent by college friend, Linsday, who’s from Texas.) I just had way too many shirts so I sent some home. Yea I got some pictures from Dad in China, too, that’s crazy awesome!! And Vandy is in the College Word Series!!!!!!!!! Man, now that la copa mundial (“the World Cup”) has started its like nuts here when Mexico plays, every single person is watching the game. Ty (note: college friend serving mission in Fortaleza, Brazil) emailed me today and I guess Brazil is playing Mexico tonight or tomorrow,? so hope Mexico pulls it out – haha. That's also super cool about Trot and Evan, good for them. (note: other missionary friends) Yea, everyone here is excited about the Spurs as well. Also, I hope the Texas Rangers do well in baseball this year, that's my new team!!

Yep, Silvia and Janet's letter was super nice, I’m going to write them back. Let's see…so we got the transfer news and I am staying! And I'm staying with Elder Brain! (I'm excited about both of those things!). I’m going to be in the hottest part of the mission for the hottest part of the year, too, haha, so that's exciting. I don’t have any new pictures from this week but I’ll send more next week.

We are getting fed so much, and last week I think I hit my limit. We had two food appointments last Friday, and that's nothing new, we get fed a lot. But the first one was at 3 p.m. and it was just rice and meat and like the usual. And I had two plates. Then we had a dinner appointment at 7 p.m., and I was going into it super, super full. So we get there and this is what we ate: I had two strawberry milkshakes, two plates of lasagna, a couple pieces of bread and then a giant piece of cheesecake and two scoops of ice cream. The house where we were eating – the mom is one who, literally, right when you finish something she is already there giving you more, no questions asked if we wanted more, just eat! And this happens a lot and I normally shoulder the load because I’m a little bit more...*cough cough* …husky and Elder Brian is more thin-boned. But this time, I was just too full and my stomach was making weird noises and about to revolt. So, we just wrap up the visit with prayer, leave and get to the bikes (it was a bike day, of course) and we start riding home. And I was flying, like I don’t even think Lance Armstrong would have kept up with me and then I hear Elder Brian yell at me: "Elder!!!!" so I come to a screaming halt (almost flipped at this point, and had I done that it would have just been game over), but thankfully I didn’t and I look back and he is running towards me and he just goes, "I’m so sorry but my tire just popped." And I look down and his tire was just wrecked. He hit a glass piece and there was no air in it at all. So we then walk 20 minutes home – probably good for us after such a big meal! We eventually made it home and all was well. But it was so funny, and stressful, at the time.

We also had Zone Conference this week, too, and it was super good. Presidente Maluenda talked a lot about 5 major things: Love, Obedience, Hard Work, a Good Attitude, and Animo (“Cheer?” not sure if that’s correct – Google Translate) (I don't know how to say that in English). It was awesome though, it was just the best. He then talked about Peter and about the Savior and their conversation: "do you love me?" The Savior taught that if we love Him, we will feed His sheep and become disciples. It was so good. It reminded me of Elder Holland’s talk in General Conference about discipleship (note: you can read the talk here). 

All is well – I love the mission and I love this Gospel.

Con Amor (“with love”),
Elder Christiansen 

No comments:

Post a Comment